pianist vs. piano player

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 7 17:32:36 UTC 2002

In all those Westerns where the piano in a saloon gets
shot up, it's always a piano player, even though it's
nearly always solo.  Wasn't Sam in Casablanca also a
piano player, not a pianist?  Or doesn't that function
get mentioned in the film?  But I think venue is a
factor.  In a bar or a night club it's more likely to be
a piano player.

Herb Stahlke