pianist vs. piano player

Thu Feb 7 20:09:11 UTC 2002

In a message dated 2/7/2002 1:52:58 PM, pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU writes:

<< They are to classical violinists, who call their instrument a fiddle (or at
least did some years ago).  Similarly clarinetists (and I assume also
trumpet players) call their instrument a "horn."  OTOH, I don't think
concert violinists call themselves "fiddlers," and I'm sure clarinetists
don't call themselves "*hornists." >>

But isn't this just a species of jocose pseudolitotes? Like when my mom said
to me and my brothers, "It is time for me to put you monkeys to bed?"