Early English Books Online; Big Apple "whore theory" reappears

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 10 20:51:57 UTC 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> EARLY ENGLISH BOOKS ONLINE
>
>    George Thompson told me that this new database is avilable at NYU,
> but I didn't see it in the A-Z list of their databases.  I did get on
> EEBO at the NYPL.
>    It's a huge database and it offers full, picture text of very rare
> books, and it's good for what it is. The books are from about 1490-1700.
>    The bad thing is that it does NOT have keyword text searching.  I
> can't type in "apple pie" and have all the citations shown in context.
> Searching is by "keyword," but these are "author," "title," or
> "subject."

My understanding is that they will add full-text search capability in the
future.  This will be of enormous benefit to historical lexicography,
since EEBO will cover most of the literature of the 1475-1700 period.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,