Home Skillet

carljweber carljweber at MSN.COM
Tue Feb 12 19:55:47 UTC 2002

Maybe someone's worked "home skillet." Nonetheless, I
came across "home skillet" in conversation, and mildly
investigated. There are many search hits.
--------------------------------

On a site for skateboarders,
1. >>
Worrrd! We doin 'dis Old School! Yo' Trippin' Home Skillet
Hangin' wiv' 'da Howth'l Massive! Kikin' out 'da
Beats!!!!!
July 23, 2001 08:14 PM

On a religious oriented high school website, April 4, 1997.
2. >>
School Activities- Football, SOCCER, Weight-training, hanging with the
Discoteca, making Cary Ann laugh, and hiding from John Louis David.
Hobbies/Interests- Art, surfing, snowboarding, and skurfing with my Bros.
Acting our movies with Skillet.

Cincinnati Enquirer Sports columnist Paul Daugherty, February 16, 2001
3. >>
Homeys in his crib

        For years, nay, decades, I could get along with "man" and "cool."
For a few, regrettable seasons, "far out" worked. Now, using "far out" in
casual conversation is the verbal equivalent of wearing white, low-cut
Chucks.

        "What do you call your apartment?" I ask Nelson.

        "My crib. It's always been the crib."

        "Is "homey' acceptable anymore?"

        "That's all I use," Nelson says. "You got to keep in touch with your
home skillet."

        "Skillet?"

        "What about dog?" I ask. "Are there dogs still?"

        "That's your best friend."

        "Better than a homey?"

        "Better than a homey."

        "Thanks, dog," I say.

        "All right, P," Nelson says.

        This is P-Doc, yo. Later.

The Online Electronic Magazine for Star Wars Fans.
(Apparently Afro-Star Wars writer, LSilky, is "the original Intergalactic
Bro with the Fro and brand new Funky.")
 WINTER 1998 - Volume 2, Number 3.1
4. >>
"But LSilky," you say "I am failing to perceive any such connection between
these two seemingly different heroes of the Rebellion. Is there something
wrong with me?" Relax, Home Skillet, The Man has altered this brother from
game to game just enough to throw you cats off the scent, but Silky is
immune to His deceivery and gorilla dust, y'know...

Dave Bernstein's (Ghettofabulous) Rap Page (no date)
5. >>
What is up, home skillet? With the immense success of rappers of all shades,
I figured it was about time to try my own hand at some hardcore gangsta rap.
As you can see from the two ditties that follow, it is only a matter of time
before I, and my fellow gangsta Craig "Mack" Erdrich, hit it big. So,
download, enjoy, and make sure to tell your friends. Word.

This is a high school girl's page. She lists the people she knows, her good
friends at the top of the list, but Cynthia, her "home skillet," tops the
list (no date).
6. >>
Cynthia: I met Cynthia when I first moved to my house when I was around 3 or
4. She's is like my only friend who can make me laugh my hardest. Hey nerd!
What's up home skillet?

----------------------

There seem to be various situations of use, by blacks and by whites. A
Polish guy who came to the U.S. to have a career in professional wrestling
apologizes for never having won a match yet. Of no connection, somewhere
along the line he changed his name to "Home Skillet." A caucasian home guard
paramilitary commando nicknames himself "Home Skillet."

How I first heard it:

Walter, big Black guy, gets on the el train to go downtown. The train is
nearly empty,
nevertheless Walter decides to go sit very near a Chinese man, who is eating
chicken dinner, who startles, fumbles his chicken dinner onto the floor,
angrily kicks the food away, mutters, and moves to another seat on the
train.

A week later: Walter is again on the train, this time with his
girl friend. The train stops at Belmont, and who do you think boards the
train -- the Chinese, who immediately begins gesticulating
and in broken English, "You make trouble. I 'member you. You shit." Walter
reciprocates with a spate of his own. Just then, a black man, sitting on the
train, wishing to endure the disturbance if the peace no longer, yells to
Walter to cool it, take it easy, and leave the Chinese guy alone. All three
were going at it.

That evening, Walter was getting worked up, aghast at his afflicted lot,
"and there
I was Billy," he said to his friend, "caught between, on one side, Mr. Moto,
and on the other, by home skillet..." (The manner of pronunciation is to
hold out the word "home," and then say "skillet" somewhat faster.)

One suspects this expression might be from the Aunt Jemima school of deep
country coinage, notwithstanding "Aunt Jemima" is bad, whereas "home
skillet" is good. In "straight up thug" (i.e., weapons grade Hip-Hop), "dog"
is best bud, "home skillet" is second, and everyone else is a homey.

Carl Jeffrey Weber
Chicago