Jumbalaya; Roma & Poor Boy Sandwiches

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 14 03:42:55 UTC 2002

JUMBALAYA (continued)

SOCIAL LIFE IN OLD NEW ORLEANS,
BEING RECOLLECTIONS OF MY GIRLHOOD
by Eliza Ripley
D. Appleton & Company, NY
1912

Pg. 175:
   Long after my supper was served on a tray, and I was safely tucked into bed, madame presided at a banquet of gumbo, _jumbalaya_ and salad, with their beloved Bordeaux, which was spread for the old gentleman.
(This is about 1846--26 years before our first known citation of 1872.  Note the spelling.  Ripley died in 1912, at age 81--ed.)

Pg. 266:
   The few able-bodied men lingering outside the ranks of fighters, who were facetiously called "Druthers," because they'd druther not fight, or in other words, would druther stay at home....
(Civil War period.  This is probably earlier than the "druther" I found and posted in the old ADS-L archives--ed.)

ROMA & POOR BOY SANDWICHES

I'LL TAKE NEW ORLEANS
by John Lester
Bachelor Press, New Orleans
1948

Pg. XIV:  If same enjoys any success, all credit must accrue, not to the author, but to New Orleans, "the capitol of the world," as Jake Atz was wont to call it....
Pg. 7:  A Roma sandwich at dusk... (Muffuletta?--ed.)
Pg. 8:  The poor-boy sandwiches piled high with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, meat...
Pg. 69:  A butt is called a "Frisco".

"New Orleans: Decatur Street"
by John Peale Bishop
NEW YORKER, 11 January 1936
Pg. 44, col. 2:

   And looking up, at the corner, in the bright sunlight, I saw a sign, "Poor Boy sandwich: Grande Dame Coffee: J. Battistella."  At the moment, it seemed to me to resume much of Louisiana, a neon sign, unlit in the sun, ending with an Italian name.
   --JOHN PEALE BISHOP