mine-run

Thu Feb 14 12:39:46 UTC 2002

"Run of the mine" is as indeed as well known in coal territory as
run-of-the-mill is generally, and with the same meaning. I am a
little surprised to find it in general use.

dInIs (whose PADS monograph, "The Bituminous Coal Mining Vocabulary
of the Eastern United States," in spite of its status once as a
best-seller, has now been remaindered)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages