Rahat-Locum ("Turkish Delight")(1808); Nine Yards

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Fri Feb 15 01:46:06 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:45:54 EST Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>    We've known about a possible military origin for "whole nine
> yards" for some time.

I mentioned, perhaps not on list, that on NPR about a year ago there was
a piece on the whole nine yards. It was a two-way with someone I didn't
recognize and can no longer remember, but he referred to a piece of sheet
music he had from WWI (that's WW ONE) that mentioned "the whole nine
yards" in the lyrics. As I have understood it, the machine gun theory
goes back only to WWII. So how long were the machine gun belts in The
Great War?