Windy City wrong (YES, AGAIN!!)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 14 23:13:00 UTC 2002

   This is cruel and unusual punishment, by any standards.
   The NYPL has a problem with its Chicago Tribune suscription, so I had to pay $5.95 to see the humiliation online.

18 January 2002, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, Weather Fact
(The complete Charles Dana myth, described in previous message--ed.)

22 January 2002, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, pg. 3, story by Jim Kirk (satirical--ed.):
   Right.  And, of course, the Windy City got its nickname because it's really, really windy here.

9 February 2002, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, story by Leslie Mann, "A city known, off and on, by a long list of names:"
   The most misunderstood of Chicago nicknames, "Windy City," has nothing to do with its wind speeds.  It came from a New York Sun editor describing the loud competition between the cities wanting to host the World's Columbian Exposition.
(Referring to  a new book by Greg Holden, LITERARY CHICAGO: A BOOK LOVER'S TOUR OF THE WINDY CITY, by Lake Claremont Press--ed.)

   Leslie Mann got it wrong last June.  So I wrote a letter to the editor that wasn't printed.  So I wrote to the ombudsman.  So she gets it wrong AGAIN?
   (Note to ombudsman who queried here: do ombudsman correct factual errors?)
   Jesse, Carl--are you guys working on this?  Is this "Windy City" myth thing going to go DAILY in the Chicago Tribune?