No subject

Fri Feb 15 14:44:30 UTC 2002

The phrase ?anal retentive?: what is the first cite?
I?ve always assumed this was a phrase coined or
introduced by a specific
psychologist/psychiatrist/sociologist, but is that
really the case?  Part of my curiosity stems from
wondering if this type behavior was initially intended
to be as sigmatized as usage of this sobriquet now
implies.  (Would a rose by any other name...?)

One of my daughters (23 yrs)occasionally uses the
single word ?anal? to describe someone (no, not
me!)who is petty or overbearing, but I once described
a person's behavior (no, not her's!)as ?anal
retentive? and she gave me a look that indicated to me
that she not only made no connection between her usage
and mine, but was actually somewhat offended by my use
of the phrase.

By the way, what would the behavior opposite of anal
retentive, if there is such a thing, be called - in
comparable terms?

=====