Anal

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Feb 15 17:08:36 UTC 2002

--On Friday, February 15, 2002 11:52 am -0500 Bob Haas
<highbob at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:

> In 1977's ANNIE HALL, Annie (Diane Keaton) complains to Alvy Singer (Woody
> Allen) as they wait on line about having to wait for the next movie show
> time because they missed a few moments of the opening credits.  Alvy
> replies that he has to see a movie from beginning to end: "My analyst
> says it's because I'm anal."

Hey, I never realized before that there's 'anal' in 'analyst'.  Ooh, the
possibilities of interpretations for this are just too fun to think about.
If a pianist is one who plays the piano and a typist is one who types, then
an analyst is...?

Does analysis make one more or less anal then?

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844