pleonasms: ink pen

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 15 22:07:00 UTC 2002

Nothing missed.  That which you call "stick pin" I call "pin". (Oh!  Look at
the pin I got for donating blood!) and that which you call "straight pin"
(about 2 inches, small head- with who knows how many angels dancing upon it)
I call "stick pin" as it sticks something down (like a hem, maybe?).

Point is, for me, "straight pin" IS pleonastic (pleo-nasty?) as they're all
*straight* (except for maybe thoses wierd things doctors use to sew skin
with, which I've never actually seen and probably don't fit a "pin" prototype
very well anyway).

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale