INK PINS & STICKIN' PENS

Fri Feb 15 22:34:48 UTC 2002

In a message dated 2/15/2002 10:53:30 AM, db.list at PMPKN.NET writes:

<< So, just from personal experience, and given that "pin" and "pen" are both
fairly common household-implement-type objects, i'd have to say that i tend
to think they aren't as free from the possibility of ambiguity, even given
context, as someone without experience with the merger might think. >>

Being common, short words, PIN and PEN are  occur in spelling lessons when I
was a child. I remember the teacher reading out the list and students asking,
"Ma'am, do you mean INK PEN or STICKIN' PIN?

I don't remember anything like "BOY JIM or RING GEM?", though. Or even
"NUMBER TEN OR SOUP-CAN TIN"!