Malsada/Malassada; Easy as Pie

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 17 23:33:25 UTC 2002

MALASADA/MALASSADA--Both spelling are used on the web.  Its Hawaiian introduction supposedly began on Shrove Tuesday, 1953, at Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu.  The revised OED doesn't have it.

EASY AS PIE--Another awful etymology.  We have this in the 19th century.

NEAPOLITAN ICES/ITALIAN ICES/SHAVED ICE--OED has a "shaved ice" from Hemingway, in the 1920s.  I have citations of Italian vendors selling "tutti frutti" ice drinks from the 1870s-1890s.

CAESAR SALAD--The 1946 citation would help.  Ultimately, though, I'll find earlier.  I still have to go to Johnson & Wales University and check out the menu collection.  It's probably stronger on 1930s and 1940s California menus than the NYPL.  Also, Walter Winchell surely mentioned Caesar Salad on a visit to Los Angeles and/or Tijuana in the 1930s/1940s.  I still have several years to go through.

RUSTY THOMAS MENU COLLECTION (1949-1969), KAPI OLANI COMMUNITY COLLEGE LIBRARY, 4304 DIAMOND HEAD ROAD, HONOLULU, 808-734-9267--You have to call for an appointment.  I called, and said to get back to me via e-mail.  There's been no response.  What to do??