Pidgin To Da Max (1981)

Mon Feb 18 16:36:36 UTC 2002

Some of the words in Pidgin to da Max are of course teenage slang; but the
core of the book is long-established Hawaiian Creole (called Pidgin by the
users but really much more complex and stable).  The base (or "lexifier")
language is English, but with many borrowings from Samoan, Filipino,
Japanese, etc.   Grammar is not "standard" English either; thus "ben"
(below) < 'been' can be simple past or perfect; 'go' is present, past, or
progressive; -dem = plural marker; 'no' = general negative, etc.  'Bumbye'
< by and by; 'asswhy' = that's why'.  I love this book and show it when I
talk about pidgins and creoles in my sociolinguistics class.  I doubt that
most of these items would be in RHHDAS.