America and American

Tue Feb 19 14:41:04 UTC 2002

I have mixed feelings about this America business.
On the one hand, I have a great deal of political sympathy with those
who might feel themselves slighted (or worse) by a (the?) superpower.
On the other hand, I know very few countries where people do not us
the last name in the long string of words which usually constitutes
the official name of the country to designate their nationality. I
once caught a lot of flack from a Brasilian, who complained about our
use of "American" (I hadn't, by the way) until  I pointed out that he
was from "The United States of Brasil" and that when he called
himself a Brasilian he was doing nothing different from those who
call themselves American from the United States of America.
In fact, when I lived (and played basketball) in Brasil, my court
nickname was "Americano."

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston