America and American

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Tue Feb 19 23:48:47 UTC 2002

There was at one time a proposal to create a new state from northern Idaho, eastern Washington and northeastern Oregon with Spokane (pronounced  spo-CAN) as its capital and with the name "Lincoln." (Idaho was to get the rest of eastern Oregon).  One of the National Geographic maps shows the proposed boundaries. Yes, the eastern parts of OR and WA are very different in many ways from the western parts.
Fritz

>>> "ANNE V. GILBERT" <avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET> 02/19/02 12:17PM >>>
Don:

> Oh, you'd have to change the name of your state to "Cascadia".
> Wasn't that, at one point, going to be the name anyway?

I think somebody at one time wanted to split eastern and western Washington
and Oregon into two long states and call the western one Cascadia or some
such. I don't know what they wanted to call the eastern portions.  And
Cascadia has sort of been taken up, as  kind of "regional" designation by
some environmentalists.
Anne G