America and American

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Feb 20 04:14:01 UTC 2002

> On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 7:49 AM, George Cole wrote:
>
> In the 1970s, when a relative was returning from Canada, to the United
> States, a Canadian border checkpoint official asked of his destination.
> The relative responded with the statement "America".  The official
> responded, "Where do you think you are now?"  It seems that the border
> official considered Canada to be part of America.
 [snip]
> George Cole
> Shippensburg University

Very odd.  I don't understand why a Canadian official would be questioning
him when he was entering the U.S.  It's only U.S. Customs and Immigration
that you go through when you're travelling in that direction.  Oh.  Maybe it
was just a misremembering here: i.e. maybe a Canadian official questioned
him about where he lived when he was entering Canada ... but that wouldn't
work for the official's response either.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive
Saskatoon, Sask.