Shave Ice (1953); Mud/Mac Pie (1964); Buddha-heads (1961)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 20 07:14:12 UTC 2002

SHAVE ICE (continued)

   There is an index to the HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN and HONOLULU ADVERTISER, from 1929.  "Shaved ice" is in the index, with two stories in 1953.

HONOLULU ADVERTISER, 26 April 1953, pg. 10, col. 5:
   Long ago, as way far back as when I was one small kid in Honolulu, it was smart to find out right away quick where the nearest "Shave Ice" sign was in the neighborhood, for on those warm summer days there was nothing quite like it for bringing down the body temperature.

HONOLULU ADVERTISER, 4 October 1953, pg. 7, col. 4:
_Couple Brings New Look_
_To Shave Ice Business_

MAC PIES & MUD PIES

MAC PIES--I looked through a 1920 cookbook, with no "macadamia" mention whatsoever.  PARADISE OF THE PACIFIC, September/October 1964, pg. 56, has recipes for MACADAMIA NUT PIE, SOUTHERN STYLE; MACADAMIA NUT CREAM PIE; and PUMPKIN-MACADAMIA CHIFFON PIE.  There's also a web site, something like www.mac-pie.com.

MUD PIES--The first "Mississippi Mud Pie" that I found was only from 1975-1976.  The 1950s "Mississippi Mud" that I found was really chocolate pudding.
  From HAWAIIAN EPICURE: A MENU GUIE TO OAHU (HONOLULU-WAIKIKI), KAUAI, HAWAII AND MAUI (1976), pg. 193:

JUDY'S MUD PIE  Oreo cookie crust, Kona coffee ice cream and chocolate ice cream, with hot fudge topping and whipped cream  1.75

   From PARADISE OF THE PACIFIC, November/December 1964, pg. 128, col. 3:

   _Kona Mud Pie._  Make crumb crust by stirring 3/4 cup chocolate cooky crumbs and 1/2 cube shredded coconut into 1/2 cube melted butter.  Press into pie pan; bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees.  Fill with 1 1/2 to 2 quarts coffee ice cream.  Frost with chocolate frosting (made from 1/2 box mix) flavored with instant Kona coffee.  Freeze until serving time.  Top with whipping cream and shredded coconut.

BUDDHA-HEADS (continued)

   Mentioned in PIDGIN 2 DA MAX.
   From PARADISE OF THE PACIFIC, January 1961, pg. 13:

   HAWAII'S CHINESE (dam' pa-kes) are all wealthy and spend twenty hours a day scheming how to get richer.
   Hawaii's Japanese (dam' buddha-heads) are too big for their britches, think they won the War single-handed, and spend twenty-four hours a day scheming to take over the Islands.
(...)
(Pg. 14--ed.)
   Portuguese (dam' Portugee) are loud mouths.  The manongs and borinkis (Filipinos and Puerto Ricans) are just a bunch of waste-time gooks.
   These are some of the stereotypes....

(Hawaiian Drinks, Part II, when I have the time.  Gotta catch a plane!--ed.)