America and Americans

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Feb 21 23:10:06 UTC 2002

But it is not so in all languages and cultures. I recall hearing of the
child of Americans living in Germany, fluent in German and attending a
German school, whose paper was marked wrong for counting the continents
as seven. There are five, said the teacher: Europe, Asia, Africa,
American, and Australia.

Can you give a source for this? This teacher does not represent what people say.  In German we have the equivalent of 'North' and 'South' America and we do recognise Antarctica.  Could it be that this German knows less about geography than the proverbial don't-know-any-geography Americans?   Glaube schon.
Fritz Juengling