continents

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Feb 22 18:17:32 UTC 2002

--On Friday, February 22, 2002 1:05 pm -0500 "Dennis R. Preston"
<preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU> wrote:

>> Lynne,
>
> Doesn't this also apply to differences in "Middle," "Near," and "Far"
> East for the two putatively related languages (British and American)?
> I forgot how this goes?

I'm not sure--in part because "near east" and "far east" are not terms that
I have strong intuitions about, and so if my meaning's different from the
UK meaning, I'm not sure I'd notice it.  I can ask around...

Lynne

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844