Canada Etymology?

carljweber carljweber at MSN.COM
Sun Feb 24 06:12:01 UTC 2002

Dear Members,
Can someone help me find a recognized authority for the etymology of
 "Canada"? I know the history of it as an Indian word brought back by
Cartier from his 1534 expedition. This is what everyone has accepted, and
the responsibility is passed to the Amerindian linguists, particularly the
Algonquianists.

Contrary to the accepted view, as maps and dates of history show, the
Portuguese navigated the St. Laurence to Montreal before the French. The
maps show this. There was a brief Iberian era to Canadian history, and
"Canada" dates from this period (also Hochelaga, Chilaga, Auacal and
Saguenay). Mercator got his placenames of Nouvelle France, and his image of
the St. Laurence Seaway, from the Portuguese, not from the French.

By any chance:
What possibly on a late16th century Iberian influenced map of Canada could
"chiogigua," as a Latin derived word, mean? Before the Great Lakes were
known, it's the name for the mythical "forgotten river" that reached, not
down to the Gulf of Mexico, but north, to the frozen waters of the North
Sea, the Northwest Passage to China. Could it be a verb for the channeling
fall of water, a past participle + a pronoun article + water morpheme. Tell
me this is not analogous to French "chuca-" and Spanish "chiacha-".

Thanks
Carl Jeffrey Weber
Chicago