transitivity of "expire" (fwd)

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Feb 27 03:00:38 UTC 2002

>More language change in action w/r/t intransitives getting used as
>transitives: seems to happen a lot; two that I've heard recently are
>"stagnate" ("they stagnate the trains" = they make them move on a slower
>schedule; heard on a subway platform in Boston) and "obsolete" as a
>transitive verb, which I saw in a magazine ad somewhere.
>
>Ben

And what about transitives used intransitively: A phenomenon I have noticed
in weather reports is the use of _verify_ intransitively:

e.g.:

If the forecast verfies, we will have 10 inches of rain.

Barbara Need
UChicago--Linguistics