surgical strike

David Bergdahl einstein at FROGNET.NET
Wed Jan 2 15:27:32 UTC 2002

For what it's worth, my brother-in-law in Jerusalem refers tto surgical
strikes as "dovecot bombing"; apparently a term familiar to Israelis.

"sugrical strike - this time I agree that the term should be banished.
Knowledgeable people (including many in the US Air Force) know that "smart
bombs" have something like a 50% probability of hitting their targets, as
opposed to the traditional "dumb bombs" whose probability is something less
than 1%.  Thoughtful admirers of the US air campaign in Afghanistan will
admit that a "surgical strike" is a matter of luck, or in other words, bombs
do not always do what you intend.  (Not a political comment, just a
statement
of reality)."