Moro crab; Mary Pickford Cocktail

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 4 08:20:46 UTC 2002

   I gotta fight the OED for these things.  Watch out--I know Mike Tyson.

MARY PICKFORD COCKTAIL (continued)

   It's been around for over 70 years and is still going strong in Cuba.  It's legit.
   I returned to the newly renovated Lincoln Center Performing Arts Library.  The electronic book request system still doesn't work.  The place still doesn't have a clock.  The librarian there said the library is "still being worked on."
   I didn't see "Mary Pickford Cocktail" in the biographies; the clippings files were basically just movie reviews.
   www.marypickford.com received my query, and I'll relay any relevant response.

MORO CRAB (continued)

   From John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999), pg. 310:

_stone crab_ (_Menippe mercenaria_, although _Lithodes maja_ is also called by this name).  Also, "moro" or "morro" crab.

   It's true that "cangrejo moros" is most popular in Cuba, whose citizens lack the computers to enter it on Google.  But again, this is a word over 70 years old and that won't disappear.
   Next time, I'll go with OED editors to a seafood restaurant....