Czechia (new word!!!)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 8 23:55:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Baker, John wrote:

>         The earliest reference I see is from an editorial in the Jerusalem
> Post, Sept. 8, 1991:  "Slovakia will celebrate its separation from Czechia
> as Wales and Scotland declare theirs from England."  Several of the early
> citations are discussions of what to call the Czech Republic.

Here's a much earlier citation:

1957 _Amer. Historical Rev._ 62: 622  There is confirmation, if that is
needed, of the fundamental change in attitude in the West produced when
the Germans seized "Czechia."

I think "Czechia" here is a translation of a German name, perhaps
"Tschechien."

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,