AIDS (MMWR, 3 September 1982)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 10 23:02:02 UTC 2002

   George Thompson spotted me in the NYU Bobst Library--one of the world's better libraries--and urged me to go to the 6th floor.
   The OED's first "AIDS" citation is from the MORBIDITY AND MORTALITY WEEKLY REPORT, published by the Centers for Disease Control, on 24 September 1982.
   The NYU Bobst Library has:

REPORTS ON AIDS
PUBLISHED IN THE
_MORBIDITY AND MORTALITY WEEKLY REPORT_
JUNE 1981 THROUGH MAY 1986

   From Page 15:

1982 Sept. 3; 31:465-67
(...)  Beginning in 1978, a disease or group of diseases was recognized, manifested by Kaposi's sarcoma and opportunistic infections, associated with a specific defect in cell-mediated immunity.  This group of entities, along with its specific immune deficiency, is now called acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS).