"An Uplifting Origin of 86" (Dundes, AMERICAN SPEECH)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 12 00:47:50 UTC 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    I just received AMERICAN SPEECH, vol. 76, no. 4, Winter 2001.  I was
> shocked when I saw, on pages 437-440:
>
>    I put things on ADS-L.  And, just recently, I posted a Walter
> Winchell citation from the Soda Jerk language of California, dated in
> 1933.  Thus, wrong on Page 439 is: "Inasmuch as _eighty-six_ 'menu item
> not on hand' was first documented in 1936 by Bentley in _American
> Speech_...."

I agree with all your other points, but let me get this straight: you're
criticizing Dundes for not incorporating the results of your December 29,
2001 posting in his American Speech article that is coming out in January
2002?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,