Salad bowl (was Re: The Finger (1947?))

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jan 14 16:37:00 UTC 2002

        I think these guesses are correct.  Every example I've seen of
"salad bowl" contrasts it to "melting pot," with one speaker (Alex Haley,
author of "Roots") saying that a melting pot suggests oatmeal.  The earliest
use I saw was from the 6/13/83 issue of Time:  "The new metaphor is not the
melting pot but the salad bowl, with each element distinct."

John Baker