may/might confusion

Thu Jan 17 23:46:12 UTC 2002

This would explain the "seeming" lack of verb sequencing in a line in
"American Tongues," where a boot seller in Kentucky tells the buyer "he may
could wear it in a(n) 8 and a half."  I've listened closely many times and
I'm sure it's "may could."  So perhaps the can/could distinction still
holds, even while the may/might one is being lost.  "May can" would be
distinct from "may could" then, right?