FW: Nebraskans/Standard English

Michael Newman mnewman at QC.EDU
Fri Jan 18 22:56:31 UTC 2002

>Re what Michael Newman has said, copied below --
>
>The issue is not what is "best".  There is no "best".  And clearly, everyone
>has the signs of their particular origin, upbringing, or education in their
>idiolect.

Obviously, but in folk linguistics this is how it is expressed. You
can't separate a supposedly neutral one from people's positive
evaluation of such perception. People notice European-American NY or
Boston (less Philly) and southern, but not as frequently Northern
cities. They believe that Midwesterners speak similarly despite the
fact that several dialect regions cross that area. All of which is to
say that in the area of dialect perceptions, Americans do not map
features to dialects with any consistency. So the question, is not
really doesn't workable. Think of your question:

"is there a dialect of American English that can be characterized as
having the least amount of regional marking."

Once you've established a dialect, you've established a social group
that speaks that way. Dialect is language variation by social group,
by definition.  So the only way the question makes sense is to say is
there a dialect that people don't notice much. And the answer is that
there are many because Americans aren't generally very good at
noticing dialects. As Labov pointed out, how else is that Hollywood
can get away with having a supposed NY cop on NYPD Blue speak with a
strong Chicago accent?

Ironically, there may be a dialect that really covers broad swaths of
the US without great geographic varation: AAVE, according to Labov,
although it seems clear that AAVE speakers in NY vary considerably
from those in Chicago, for instance, phonologically.