"loose as a goose"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Jan 19 16:20:50 UTC 2002

    A colleague recently passed along the suggestion below about
"loose as a goose." A check of _Historical Dictionary of American
Slang_ shows the meaning of the expression to be "extremely loose (in
any sense)", and the first attestation comes in 1930: Botkin,
_Folk-Say_, 106: "There, she's loose as a goose." But nothing is said
about the origin of the expression.

    So the question arises: In what way is a goose loose? Right below
my signoff is the suggestion I received.

--Gerald Cohen