"out of pocket" (= not reachable)

Ittaob at AOL.COM Ittaob at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 20 20:30:18 UTC 2002

In a message dated 1/20/02 2:30:28 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

<< The unreachable-by-cell-phone use is an odd one to me; I
wonder if it results from a nonce re (or mis)interpretation. >>

As an attorney who's worked for many years with New York law firm lawyers,
investment bankers, etc., I can tell you that "out of pocket" to mean "not
available" has been used in these circles for years. I have heard almost
daily. No one seems to remember that it originally meant "lacking money."

Steve Boatti