Caviar (1555); Dolma (1831); Kebab (1800;1824)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 21 06:53:31 UTC 2002

CAVIAR

THE TURKISH LETTERS OF OGIER GHISELIN DE BUSBECQ
Imperial Ambassador at Constantinople, 1554-1562
translated from the Latin of the Elzevir Edition of 1633
by Edward Seymour Forster
Oxford: Clarendon Press
1927 (reprinted 1968)

Pg. 21 (Vienna, 1 September 1555):
   During this period of our journey we ate bread baked under ashes; the natives call it _fugacia_.
Pg. 36 (Vienna, 1 September 1555):
   ...nor about the pickled delicacies which are brought to Constantinople from the Sea of Azof and are called by the Italians _moronella_, _botarga_, and _caviare_.
Pg. 221:
   In the next place to him but one was seated an old man of the class which they call Hodja, that is, men of learning.

(OED has 1591 and M-W circa 1560 for "caviar."  OED has 1598 for "botargo."  OED has 1625 for "hodja" or "Khoja"--ed.)

DOLMA

NARRATIVE OF A JOURNEY FROM CONSTANTINOPLE TO ENGLAND
by the Rev. R. Walsh
Fourth edition
London: Frederick Westley and A. H. Davis
1831

Pg. 4:
   Next, a canister of Mocha coffee.  The greater part of the coffee used in Turkey is sent from our West India plantations, and Mocha coffee is as great a rarity in Constantinople as in London.
Pg. 96:
   ...who daily make cheese, youart, curds, kaimac, and sundry other preparations of milk....
Pg. 110:
   Their only manufacture is a confection in great request among the Turks; it consists of walnuts enclosed in a sweet gelatinous substance, made from the inspissated juice of grapes: it is formed into long cylindrical rolls, like black-puddings, and so transported (Pg. 111-ed.) to Constantinople, where it is eaten in great quantities.  We saw some cart-loads of this confection leaving the town.
   As we could get nothing to eat at our inn, we entered the shop of a Turkish traiteur, and ordered a supper to the khan.  When it arrived, we found it consisted of a dish of broiled ribs of mutton, a dish of dolmas, or young gourds,* stuffed with forced meat, boiled; a dish of sheep's feet, and the cartiliginous parts of the head, stewed; and, finally, a dish of sour cabbage and pickled cucumbers, as large as any of the former.
*Cucurbita Pepo.
Pg. 154:
   In this way, a third large dish of kolokithias, or boiled gourds, and a fourth of lachani, or boiled cabbage, were dispatched; and the feast ended in six minutes.
Pg. 189
  Here were a number of scampavias lying, and Wallachian waggons unloading the produce of the country, to supply the other side.  It principally consisted of flakes of buffaloes' flesh, dried in the sun, called bastermans; a kind of flat sausage, like a horse-shoe; and blocks of rock salt, which several boats were taking from the waggons.

(Bastermans?  Basturma?  Pastroma?...OED and M-W have 1889 for "dolma"--ed.)

KEBAB

JOURNAL OF A TOUR IN ASIA MINOR,
WITH COMPARATIVE REMARKS ON THE ANCIENT AND MODERN
GEOGRAPHY OF THAT COUNTRY
by William Martin Leake
London: John Murray
1824

Pg. 41:
   While the horses are preparing, we eat our _kebab_ in the burying-ground, and take shelter from the cold of the evening in the tent of some camel-drivers, who were enjoying their pipes and coffee over a fire.

(The journal entry appears to be from 29 January 1800...OED has 1813 and M-W has 1673 for "kebab"--ed.)