Goose/The Finger

Tue Jan 22 19:36:32 UTC 2002

As I grow older, I lack clarity. Yes, I know that to give somebody
the bird is to give somebody the finger. Why do we say bird instead
of finger? And is it really the case that everybody except Mark and
me knows the identity of the bird being referred to? Kiwi, tit, jay,
robin?

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston