coney dogs

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Wed Jan 23 21:02:44 UTC 2002

Well, those of you in Michigan know about coney dogs: hot dogs with a
savory meat sauce, served with chopped onion and mustard. There's the wet,
Detroit variety, and the dry Flint variety, and if you want to try them
side by side, the Coney restaurant off of US-23 in Fenton serves both the
Flint and the Detroit style. I recall this discussion from the past.

The wet Detroit sauce is chili-esque, but the dry Flint one I've never
seen anywhere else.

Anyhow, I found out the 'secret ingredient' that makes that gives the
Flint style coneys their unusual texture: it's ground beef heart.

-- Steve