..archival sites..

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Tue Jan 29 18:51:13 UTC 2002

In a message that was forwarded by Gerald Cohen, a question is posed
about citing a broken www link.  Perhaps the question could be amended
to read, "how exactly does one cite a broken www link, if it is
archived?"

Sometimes, it is possible to resurrect a broken link by pasting it into
the following site's 'http' window.

http://www.archive.org/

I've had some success with the site, pasting broken links that were
found in a Google search, i.e., once I receive a notice that the link is
nonexistent, I paste the address of the page into the archive search
window.

Thus far, for citation purposes, I note that the site was located
through an archive search.

I'm not aware of any other archival sites, but would like to know about
any that might exist.

George Cole
Shippensburg University