Mahimahi (1901-02); Big Apple "whore theory" disappears

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 30 19:53:16 UTC 2002

MAHIMAHI

   The revised OED has 1905.  (Is the second citation  the same work?)  Merriam-Webster has 1943.
   (O.T.:  I saw an HBO poster for Janet Jackson's concert from Hawaii, on February 17th.  At that time, I will also be in Hawaii.  Celebrities follow me wherever I go.)

U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries
THE FISHES AND FISHERIES OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.
A PRELIMINARY REPORT
by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann
COMMERCIAL FISHERIES OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS
by John N. Cobb
Extracted from the U.S. Fish Commission Report for 1901.  Pages 353 to 499.  Plates 21 to 27.
Washington:  Government Printing Office
1902

Pg. 358:
Mahimahi...Coryphaena hippurus.

Pg. 424 (Cobb, cited by OED for 1905?):
   In fishing for mahimahi (dolphin) young akule (called agi by the Japanese) are used.

BIG APPLE "WHORE THEORY" DISAPPEARS

   I went to the Peter Salwen "Why is New York Called the Big Apple?" link on several different computers.  It no longer shows up.  The link worked earlier in the week.
  Salwen added his bit of misinformation in 1995, when he stated that "Big Apple" comes from an early 19th-century prostitute named Evelyn, or Eve.  I soon wrote to him that there isn't a single piece of evidence to support this theory, and I asked him to take it off the web.  He never responded.
   After September 11th, I wrote to the Internet Public Library not to use this link.  The IPL never replied, but added, on its list of "Big Apple" links, that this theory was "very controversial."  I met Richard McDermott, also a member of Salwen's Society for New York City History, in the New-York Historical Society after September 11th, and I told McDermott to tell Salwen it's time to take the site down.
   I don't know what did it, but it's now down.
   The next part is, _ten years_ after I found the "Big Apple" quotes in the NEW YORK MORNING TELEGRAPH, to publish them in full in the NEW YORK TIMES.  I had told William Safire's assistant to publish this in 2000 and I thought this would happen then.  I was double-crossed.
   This disgrace now enters its second decade.
   No good deed goes unpunished.