box set

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 31 11:55:46 UTC 2002

In a message dated 01/30/2002 8:25:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> I think the
>  undeleted version would have to be /aistti:/ with a geminate, not
>  /aisd/ with voicing:  compare "I'd like my coffee iced", which can
>  only  be /aist/.

Yes, I was mistaken.  I pronounce "iced" as /aist/ not /aisd/ and I suppose
most people do so.  Second mistake on my part:  English speakers can indeed
voice halfway through a stop.  Go into your local Plaid (Duncan) Donut shoppe
and ask for a "vanilla-iced donut" and you will probably say /aistdo/.

I hope you don't mind my amateur phonetic transcriptions.  An an amateur, I
know OF the IPA alphabet but I am also aware that when it comes to IPA, a
little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

      - Jim Landau