Earlier Example of "Wop"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 31 22:57:54 UTC 2002

OK, I looked a little further in the lyrics of Irving Berlin, and found an
earlier example of "wop":

1912 Irving Berlin _My Sweet Italian Man_ (song) in _Complete Lyrics of
Irving Berlin_ (2001) 59  "My sweet Italian man, I'm-a sick, I'm-a sick,
Love-a me much-a quick, Come here and squeeze-a my hand; Say you love me,
wop-a, Like you love your barbar shop-a.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,