An initial 4A N2...?

Mon Jul 1 11:59:19 UTC 2002

I'm still at a loss. Does this mean that no special interest group
has slang? And, by your definition, drug use slang written down for
police to memorize would have ceased to be slang on the spot (at
least for those cops), although they set out to learn "slang."

I suspect the difficulty really lies in our inability to pinpoint
what we mean by slang, and I suspect a set of prototypical categories
(ephemerality, raciness, etc...). no one of which is defining is the
major source of the difficulty.

For me, therefore, every item of technical language must undergo the
same investigation to determine whether it is slang or not (as well
as, of course, a reinvestigation for in-group and out-group users).

One suspicion I have is that we often use the word "jargon" to
indicate the convergence of technical vocabulary and slang (but
sertainly not exclusively; we obviously also use jargon when we feel
that technical language is "unnecessary:).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics