Slang vs. Jargon (An initial 4A N2...?)

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 2 02:24:12 UTC 2002

Why wouldn't this work:

JARGON is a set of terms used by a group across age, class, societal, etc.
barriers
while SLANG is much more (don't kill me for this) dialectal.

For example, in the marijuana-smoking community, you can find the very old,
the very young, black, white, male, female, etc.  all calling a $10 amount of
drugs a "dime bag".  Therefore, that is jargon.  However, it's been my
experience that the older set use "grass" more and the younger  set use
"pot".  Therefore, those are slang.

And bringing it back to the pigs for a moment... I don't think 5-0 use of
drug terms counts for anything... they aren't the words of their group; it's
like me learning french and when I mess up my pronunciation, French
phoneticians freaking out about new allophones (or something...).

And one last teeny side note, I won't consider ecstasy as slang for DMA, if
that were true, then aspirin would be slang for acetylsalicylic acid, which I
would say it is not.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
In Transition. . . (and I just figured out what the original subject line
meant!!!)