Non-native English?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 3 16:32:44 UTC 2002

In a message dated 6/28/02 9:59:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU writes:

> "Do NOT open the file.  "IE" stands for "Internet Explorer", and NOBODY
would
>  send out patches for IE unsolicitated.  "
>
>  I was intrigued by "unsolicitated" where I would have 'unsolicited'. A
quick
> google search suggests 'unsolicitate' is fairly common especially in this
> context of spamming.
>  Is this another specialized usage for a backformation like commentate (cf.
> comment)?

Why I managed to type "unsolicitated" for "unsolicited" I don't know.  It is
not a formation that I ever use (except, apparently, when typing in a hurry.)

In a message dated 7/3/02 10:02:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, I wrote:

> "grit" is used as a mass noun to mean a quantity of abrasive particulars.

Granted there have been messages on ADS-L that included abrasive particulars,
but I meant to write "abrasive particles".

       - Jim Landau