Slang vs. Jargon (An initial 4A N2...?)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jul 3 20:48:58 UTC 2002

> >>I can't identify the
> >>population of marijuana smokers, therefore there is no way
> to determine
> what
> >>terms are used within and without that population.
>
> Why can't the population of marijuana smokers be identified?  We can't
> exactly determine the population of homosexuals, either, but
> a good amount of
> work has been done concerning the terms within and without of that
> population.

Maybe you're right. You probably can identify a core group that is actively
involved in a "culture of marijuana." There are groups like NORML and hemp
advocates and at every high school you can readily identify the stoners. I
guess my problem is that there are so many others who are peripherally
associated with the pot-smoking "culture" that the boundaries of the group
are vague.

> Also, it seems that you're relating JARGON to only socially
> accepted, legal,
> professions, which is something I disagree with.

No, I didn't mean to imply that at all. Clearly groups like the Mafia have a
jargon, "soldier," "family," "made guy." Ditto for narcotics smugglers with
words like "mule."