Jew/Jewish

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 4 14:47:00 UTC 2002

Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:
>>I swear I've heard "Is he a landsman?" but whoever said it has been dead a
>>long time--ancient in the 1950s.
>
>Having grown up Jewish in NYC also in the 50s, I don't remember too
>many terms from then, but I know I've heard landsman - and never MOT.
>
>In the film "Frisco Kid" from 1979, Gene Wilder, playing the lost and
>bedraggled Polish rabbi, sees a group of Amish - with the black hats,
>beards, etc. and runs to them crying "Landsmen."  They help him and
>then, when he sees their crosses, faints in their arms.
>
>Rima
>
>And there's also Dr. Jonothan Miller - when he was still with Beyond
>the Fringe, who said he wasn't a Jew, he was JewISH, not going all
>the way...

Hmmm...now I'm remembering a similarly comedic scene in Blazing Saddles,
from 1974 (I don't normally remember movie dates, but I saw the movie,
twice, when I was at the LSA Summer Institute in Amherst, in 1974).

Alice

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963