grotty

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Jul 6 22:03:52 UTC 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Jonathon Green wrote:

#I very much doubt that Ringo would have used _grody_ in the 1960s, though
#his heavy Liverpudlian accent might well have distorted the double-'t into a
#'d'. And despite the NDAS, the 'o' in _grotty_ was/is always short.

But rounded in (most?) British dialects, including, if my memory serves,
the dialogue in _A Hard Day's Night_. Many Americans might have mapped
that onto their own /o/ rather than /a/ for "short o".

-- Mark A. Mandel