Italian-Americanisms? or regionalisms?

Steve Boatti Ittaob at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 8 01:25:16 UTC 2002

In a message dated 7/7/02 9:05:57 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

<< I don't know if "abeets" (apizza) for
"pizza" extends beyond the villages that populated New Haven's
Wooster Street neighborhood in the early 20th century.  Anyone
outside New Haven come across this pronunciation? >>

The pronunciation "abeets" is common in NY and I believe elsewhere in the US
among southern Italian-Americans. However, the spelling "apizza", which one
sees  on pizza parlors in and around New Haven, I have never seen anywhere
else.

Steve Boatti