Italian-Americanisms? or regionalisms?

Susan Tamasi stamasi at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Mon Jul 8 23:25:28 UTC 2002

My family from Princeton also has the /rih GAWT/, /man ih GAWT/
pronunciation.  However, they are not from southern Italy.  Many of the
Italian immigrants in Princeton are from Petronella, Molaise which is
about 2 hours southeast of Rome and 2 hours northeast of Naples.  (In
fact, Petronella and Princeton are sister cities).  I've asked about the
Italian-American population in Trenton (in the 50s and 60s), but my
father only replied that they were "from all over."  I do remember my
family referring to "pizza pie," but it was infrequent (and usually done
with a put-on Italian accent).  The regular term was just "pizza."  I
didn't hear "gravy" until recently, and that was by a woman of southern
Italian heritage who lives in Yonkers.

-Susan Tamasi
University of Georgia