"Only in New York" disaster; War on Poverty

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 9 16:47:17 UTC 2002

"ONLY IN NEW YORK" DISASTER--Cindy Adams was hanging with the Wachtlers, and I had to break into a conversation to talk to her.  I asked her where she got "Only in New York."  "FROM MY HEAD!" she said.  I told her that I researched the phrase and found earlier, and she told me to go away.  I asked her if she knew who I was--did she see the Gersh Kuntzman articles?  Did she know I was asked to write something (without pay) for the 200 year anniversary of the POST?  Does she know I solved the Big Apple?  She said she didn't know who I was, BUT SHE KNOWS NOW!  Meanwhile, a piddly scholar from Yale Universary is nice to me and approachable.  Go figure.  I suppose all this puts me out of contention for the New York Post's Liberty Medal, which I deserve more than anyone.

WAR ON POVERTY--Bernard Lander, Touro's founder, was in JFK's War on Poverty.  Iasked about the phrase, which I found as early as the 1950s.  Lander guessed it started with JFK's presidency.  Well, he's wrong, too.