grotty

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Tue Jul 9 19:26:54 UTC 2002

In the nine years I lived in southern England, I only ever heard the vowel
in "grotty" as /a/, and the /t/ was distinctly pronounced. "Grody" with the
"long" vowel was widespread in my Seattle schools in the 1970s, and used
pretty interchangeably with "gross" in the 'disgusting' sense.

Wendalyn Nichols