Schonbrunn's "Apple Strudel Show"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 14 13:57:34 UTC 2002

   I apologize for past spelling errors (Wiener, Potsdamer Plotz, Pessimism, et al.).  My brains are still in Alaska.

   I visited Schonbrunn today, the palace of Franz Josef and others.  I asked to see any historian on duty.  Were there any historical menus of the place that I could look at?  Well, no, there weren't.  I was told that Franz Josef ate apple strudel, but that's to be expected in Vienna in the 1800s.  There were a few strudel books (in German) for sale, but I didn't see any solid historical information on the dish in any of them.

   Schonbrunn has a bakery, and a chef gave a demonstration of baking apple strudel.  There is a pamphlet with this web info:  www.cafe-wien.at, residenz at cafe-wien.at.  I asked the chef if there was anything in Vienna like our CIA (Culinary Institute of America), where I could walk in and look at books and menus.  She said there wasn't.

   So it all boils down to one day, Monday, where I'll have to do all my research into the history of a major European cuisine in just a few hours.